Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Little Embroidery

I love embroidery and counted cross stitch.  I feel like it is paint by number - with thread.  But, the back of my pieces (when I finish them) are always so full of knots and tangles that I cannot get them flat enough to to frame.  I couldn't imagine adding detail to clothing.  And I always got SO frustrated.  

So, I got the book A Rainbow of Stitches and brushed up on my technique.  The nice thing about this art form is that there really isn't too many different stitches.  More importantly, I never really understood about starting off and ending.  I think that is where the mess began.  So, I brushed up on my stem stitching and back stitching and tried a little free form work (although I used my counted cross stitch fabric for the grid) basked on a parisian pattern from the book.  It was so fun!


And, check out the back!  No tangles, no knots.  Bliss.


Now I am starting to eyeball the curtains, tablecloths, shoes and bags around the house.  Would they be cuter with little embroidered motifs all over them....?

2 comments:

  1. This is just lovely! You did a great job. I like the simplicity of red on white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever. I never thought of the problem involving the back. I have watched mom do some of this but she never spent a lot of time on this aspect of the craft. Good job.

    ReplyDelete