Saturday, February 4, 2012

Valentine's Day Heart



There are a couple of things I don't love about Valentine's Day and that pink-on-red color scheme is one of them.   Luckily shopping with two little helpers precluded me from getting a chance to pick out a color scheme and limited me to what could be grabbed and thrown into the cart before they knocked each other down again.  

I used:

Some inexpensive blue yarn I got for a different project and a crochet hook that was on hand.
A Heart shaped wreath
Origami Paper
Straight pins normally used for sewing.

I had spotted a crochet wreath on Pinterest earlier in the week but the directions were beyond me.  I nearly (very nearly) just wrapped the darn thing but took the time to figure something out.  This worked really really really well and was fun and exciting for me because it was tight and even.

Use a slip knot to get going.  

 Then, wrap the yarn around.  I went down and then around the back once and then again before I pulled through.  This kept the wrapping process going and made everything nice and tight.
 The points were tricky and this would be much prettier on a round wreath.  But, since I planned to add more things it didn't really matter.  Although, to be honest, it was hard to leave the bald spot.

I really liked the seam.  It was strange, but I kept thinking about how nice this stitch would work to cover a cast.  The things that go through your mind during crafting....


All week I had been folding origami pinwheels.  I really wanted to use the flowers I made last week but they had too much depth.  And they took forever to make.  Pinwheels were fun and I could do them in the car during pick-up.


 Then I pinned them onto the wreath with straight pins.


And, done!



2 comments:

  1. This is just amazing! I am going right out and get a nice heart shaped thingies and start tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew you were really clever. This is just another example. You were always coming up with something amazing as a child. I am proud of my little girl.

    ReplyDelete